Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Laundry Detergent

Just before St. Patrick's Day, I bought Nory a new diaper cover. She had to have a green one, right? Yes. Anyway, included in the shipment was a sample of that company's cloth diaper detergent. I put it off to the side as back up, and good thing, too. I ran out of detergent just before Easter and didn't realize it until I needed to wash diapers. Oops! So I grabbed the sample, washed the diapers, and made more detergent. Well...apparently, life wasn't as good as I thought it was. Apparently, Nory is allergic to that detergent. She was really red everywhere the diaper touched her, and in some places where it had rubbed a little (like on her thigh) it looked really bad. She didn't seem bothered by it, but I felt awful. Luckily, just one wash took care of it, and now she's (almost) rash free. (Coconut oil does wonders, people.) So I guess from now on, we'll just be sticking to the detergent I've been making for years now. Fine by me, it's dirt cheap! Thought I'd share, if anyone is interested in the cheapest, longest lasting detergent ever:

1/4 c borax powder
1/4 c washing soda
1/4 c liquid castille soap (I use unscented/baby mild Dr. Bronner's)

put in gallon jug and fill with hot water. You'll have to give it a gentle shake before using it.

That's all there is to it. The ingredients will last you forever. I think I've had to buy two boxes of the powders in the almost three years I've been making this detergent, and since I have a gallon of the castille, I'll need to buy more of that...never. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment