Thursday, February 9, 2012

Getting better, getting bigger

We're finally coming out of the woods! Nory was officially diagnosed with RSV, which was no fun for her. With every diaper change, we had to: check her temperature, suction out her nose, rub her down with (homemade) vapo-rub, give her nose drops, and...y'know...change her diaper. Not to mention the pretty near constant nose/face wiping, making sure the humidifier(s) were going pretty much non stop, trying to keep her upright so she didn't choke on her coughs, and just generally trying to keep her happy. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but then I caught it, and it was much MUCH harder. Add in a sick Daddy, and we had a rough week. But then I discovered Stash Tea's Lemon Ginger Herbal Tea and holy cow that stuff is amazing. It's freaking magic. (Kinda like Nory's nose drops, but a different kind of magic.) Anyway.

Having a sick baby has made me realize just how crazy I am as a mother. For example, I talk to Nory. A lot. Like she can understand me and is going to respond. Especially when she was sick. "Oh, Norybaby, that was a big cough! Did it hurt your chest? Is your throat sore?" or "You know, sweet girl, I think you'll feel better if you try to sleep a little longer. Do you want to snuggle with Mama for a bit and then sleep? Or do you think you want to eat and get a diaper change?" Like Nory's just going to look at me and say "Mama, it hurts to breathe and my throat is really sore." or "Yeah, I want to sleep more, I just need a snack first. Thanks, Mama!" Not going to happen. I'm insane. Maybe our thermometer was broken and my fever was higher than I thought...

But yeah, we're just about done with all of it. We're easing Nory off of all of her 'treatments', but I'm still sucking down either lemon ginger or nursing tea all day. Also going thru cough drops like they're candy. Such fun. But Nory is feeling so much better, and for that, I am so very, very thankful.

With her feeling better, though, she has reached a new milestone that I was completely unprepared for and had a lot of trouble with. Still trying to deal with it, actually. Last night, I had a meeting with the organization I volunteer for. It was scheduled for 6:00. Nory goes to bed at 6:30 these days. But I've been to this meeting before and been home before 7, so it's usually not a big deal. Wednesday is a "food night" for Nory anyway, so I just told Ben to feed her a bit more, just to tide her until I got home. Well...he fed her pears (which she loves) mixed with a little bit of pumpkin (which she doesn't). Went thru her bedtime routine...and she went right to sleep. Which I guess is a good thing, since my meeting ran until 8! But...she didn't need me at all! So I was pretty heart broken last night (and today...) realizing that my baby is growing and growing and pretty soon, she isn't going to need me to feed her. My goal is to feed her past a year, but now, I'm not sure if she'll go for it. I don't want her weaning herself yet! Maybe I should start giving her food earlier, so she'll still want me at bedtime. Sigh. Or maybe I should embrace the fact that she's growing and just accept the fact that she wants food now. Makes it much easier for babysitters, yes? I just wish there were something to make this easier for Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment